Saturday, August 21, 2010

How to safely erase all data from an external hard drive?

I have a 1TB Seagate External Hard drive that I would like to sell since I am getting one with a larger capacity. I heard that even formatting the drive will not erase all data. I have personal data that I would like to completely get rid of before selling.How to safely erase all data from an external hard drive?
http://www.dban.org/ will prevent data from being restored. You have to download %26amp; burn the disk image, then boot to it. Be very careful that you erase the external drive, and not the one with Windows on it!How to safely erase all data from an external hard drive?
Sorry but DBAN wipes out ALL hard drives on the computer. I ONLY want to wipe out my external hard drive.





Also, DBAN does NOT wipe out any USB devices or removable media, meaning I CANNOT wipe out an external hard drive.

Report Abuse



Download a program like Secure Erase, or Eraser and run it on the drive. It will take a few hours, especially with a drive that size, but it will overwrite all the data multiple times to destroy anything you previously saved on there.





http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fre鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment