Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do I contribute to the free genealogy data on the web?

For every privilege there is a corresponding responsibility. If I want the privilege of free genealogical data on the web, it is my responsibility to contribute to it.





I look up obituaries for people who post requests for them on my county鈥檚 GenForum board. I post well-researched answers to queries on three surname-based boards. I transcribed 10 pages of the 1850 Monroe County Va. (Now WV) census.





Does anybody else who uses YA besides RustSkipper give back a little?





The ';Ask a Question'; form here tells me ';No similar question found';. THAT's a surprise. Next it is going to tell me the Pope is Catholic and bears relieve thelselves in the woods.How do I contribute to the free genealogy data on the web?
I run a genealogical website. It is small, but in its realm it is one if not the best database, and definitely the best on-line. For its tiny geographical area.





There are thousands of contributors to the LDS website. I am one.


there are thousands more who contribute to ancestry.com and to roots. and there are thousands of little websites like mine.





So don't feel so mistreated. 10 pages is a start. In the LDS Family History centers, there are folks who transcribe 10 -20 pages a day, and have done so for Years. Others microfilm parish and other records from all over the world. More man FHC and genealogy libraries and depositories across the world. Most genealogy is done with the doer paying the freight.





LenHow do I contribute to the free genealogy data on the web?
Give it up fool. U don't know me like dat. First of all u don't kno wat T.H.U.G. stands for. Second of all u shouldn't b stereotypin folk dat u don't kno. Trust me homeboi, don't b tryin people juss fun da fun of it.

Report Abuse



i like your blue smiley face :)
Good Morning, Ted!





I do give back what I can. I look up, in my records, what I can and am more than happy to share my information. I will be able to do more once I get my own database straight, which I am working on.





I am more than happy to help anyone with serious questions about how to's. And I usually take my questions to folks like you who have more knowledge about genealogy than I do.





My biggest problem is I run into questions so often that I don't know how to help with. But I am learning more every day, and will continue to contribute as I can.





And thanks for the tip on Roots Magic! AWESOME program!





Margie
yes Ted I have answered questions on Genealogy and History. I enjoy your rude responses to people It reminds me frequently that the world will be inherited by the obnoxious

No comments:

Post a Comment