Saturday, August 21, 2010

How can I Recover Data from a hard drive with unreadable sectors?

I have 2 hard drives in my PC. The Slave drive Failed, and when i run chkdsk on it it picks up allot of unreadable sectors. When I open the drive in windows XP i can still see the files and browse through the hard drive, but i cannot move or copy any of the data on the drive to another drive. I would like to recover the data, but its not important enough to spend alot of money on.It is a NTFS drive.How can I Recover Data from a hard drive with unreadable sectors?
Try a freeware program called Unstoppable Copier it will copy everything off the drive and will then attempt to reconstruct the files, I've used it on a HDD that was on it's last leg and recovered about 90% of the files.





Get it here:www.roadkil.net





Good Luck!How can I Recover Data from a hard drive with unreadable sectors?
tTry using a usb jump drive or try burning the data to a dvd or cd, if it won't let you then you may not be able to recover your data.





Check and see if the permissions have changed to that folder and if so reset them back to you.
When you ran chkdsk did you try the /r switch:





chkdsk /r (space between the k and /)





This switch makes chkdsk identify bad sectors and move data from there to a readable sector. its the next step from chkdsk /f which attempts to fix the bad sector

No comments:

Post a Comment